A Brief History of Omeo Primary School
Omeo Primary School first opened in 1866, under the control of head teacher Mr Alexander Macintosh. Parents paid one shilling and sixpence to have the privilege of having their child educated. As it was not compulsory, secular, or free, student numbers were not high and those who did attend were mostly children of the more affluent community members.
The first school was a simple paling building, but between 1869 and 1878 the building was updated and made from locally made bricks. Remarkably this building remains standing and is still used over a 150 years later.